The way SEO and content marketing relate can always feel a little complex, particularly in the way they integrate. Are they getting along? Are they at loggerheads with each other? If that is the case, can you ever make them function as a whole?
“If you are seeking to build your qualified search traffic, you cannot do it with only one; you should combine your search engine optimization efforts with content that is engaging”, says Michael Joseph, an expert at A+ Digital for SEO Services.
However, what is the best strategy to do this?
The most effective strategy for a brand or marketer searching for ways to leverage search engine optimization and content marketing is to analyze the ways in which they interconnect. Here are a few tips to do that:
1. A direct result of engaging content brings about a diverse backlink portfolio
Google makes use of links to measure a website’s trust, relevance, and authority. So your rankings will be boosted by generating a large quantity of linkable content.
Do you know what the key to linkable content is? A study of over 300 content marketing campaigns by Fractl and Moz showed there are 4 important elements to content that are highly shareable:
- A pop-culture element
- Broad appeal
- Highly emotional
2 . Quality and quantity
Your content team would like more content that is quality, however, the SEO team may be more paying more attention to the quantity of output. The more content generated by your team, the higher the chance your company is going to be appearing in search results for a variety of search terms being targeted by the team. Businesses that blog often have 97% more inbound links.
Often times though, there is a limit to the quantity of content you can generate before something produces. If you concentrate a lot on quantity, the quality of your content is going to drop as your teams find it difficult to generate more and more.
The secret here is getting a sustainable strategy to balance content and search engine optimization. Producing top-quality content at a steady and measurable speed will bring about more engagement, more site visitors and more backlinks.
3. You can generate content ideas with the help of keywords
You will not find such a thing as search engine optimization without keywords. The smartest content marketers know that the best content will help you rank for the terms which are most associated with what your clients are already looking for.
That is why each useful content approach begins with researching keywords.
“You can start an extensive session of keyword research with some easy brainstorming. Think of the primary objectives of your website and write down some keywords. Next, widen this list by using keyword tools” says Andrea Lehr, Brand Relationship Strategist at Fractl.
Here are 2 ways you can find keywords beyond those you presently rank for:
- Google autocomplete and related searches: It is good to step inside the mind of what your clients are looking for rather than through Google. For instance, if you wanted to start dedicated to pizzas. “The best pizza” is a search that your target market is already probably using; however, when you search on Google, you will find a list of prospective long-tail keywords.
- Paid tools such as SEMrush: You can also use SEMrush to see how competitive the potential keywords are. In the main dashboard of the platform, there is an area that provides related keywords, which is an excellent resource to identify terms that your website may not already rank for.
As soon as you have got a list of keywords, think of the way you use them efficiently beyond title tags and Meta descriptions.
Below are some other ways you can make use of your keyword research:
- Dynamic and static assets: Keywords may be a starting off point to more innovative projects. With regards to “best pizza toppings,” you might build an engaging asset that allows users to create their own pizzas.
- Blog posts: You can generate new blog topics with the help of your list of keywords. Referring to the example of pizza, you can come up with a blog post where you sample several pizzas from fast-food chains.
- Social networking: You can get new opportunities for social promotion with the help of keyword research, particularly through new hashtag ideas.