Our facts about the United States of America for kids include information that is both educational and entertaining, covering topics such as the nation and its people, the nation’s landmarks and geographical extremes and other facts about the United States that are extremely important and that you should be aware of.
The United States of America, also known simply as the United States, is the second largest country that can be found on the continent of North America, after only Canada.
The term “United States” refers to a confederation of individual states. One of the fifty states that make up the United States of America, Hawaii, is located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean rather than on the American mainland.
Do you know that you can now apply for a US visa for Australian citizens online?
10 Facts about USA for Kids
1. The United States of America is a country located on the continent of North America that has a total of 50 states, one federal district (known as the District of Columbia), and 14 territories.
Only five of the fourteen territories—Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the United States Virgin Islands, and American Samoa—have permanent human settlements. The largest territory and the one with the most residents is Puerto Rico.
2. The flag of the United States of America has thirteen horizontal stripes and fifty white stars on a blue background.
Learn about why studying MBBS in the USA is better for students.
The 13 stripes on the flag represent the 13 British colonies that issued a declaration of independence from the crown of Great Britain in 1776. The 50 stars on the flag represent the 50 states that make up the United States of America.
3. “In God We Trust” is the national motto of the United States of America.
4. The “Star-Spangled Banner” is the national anthem of the United States of America, and its title comes from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key. You can find the complete lyrics right here.
5. Additional American symbols of national pride include the following:
- Bison, the national animal of the United States
- Oak tree is our national tree.
- The Bald Eagle is our national bird.
- The Rose Is Our National Flower
Do you know what is the national sport of USA?
6. Washington, District of Columbia, is the name of the city that serves as the nation’s capital. The abbreviation for the District of Columbia is “D.C.” Approximately 7.5 million people call the District of Columbia their home.
(Be aware that Washington is also the name of a state in the northwest of the United States of America. Olympia is the name of the city that serves as the state capital of Washington.
7. The United States of America has land boundaries with both Canada and Mexico. The international boundary that separates the United States and Canada is the longest one in the world. It spans a distance of 8,891 kilometers or 5,525 miles. The length of the United States’ other international border, which is shared with Mexico, is 3,145 kilometers (1,954 miles). Along its East Coast, the United States of America has a coastline that abuts the Pacific Ocean, while along its West Coast, it abuts the Atlantic Ocean.
8. The United States of America takes the spot as the third largest country in the globe. If all territories, as well as the coastline and territorial waters, are considered, the United States of America has a smaller landmass than either Russia or Canada, but a greater landmass than China.
Check out a step-by-step guide on how to improve your chances to get a US visa for South Korean citizens.
9. Following China and India in terms of the total population, the United States of America is the third most populous nation on earth. There are 338 million people currently living in the United States. The East Coast states are home to over forty percent of the country’s population, while the West Coast states are home to approximately sixteen percent. Urban areas are home to 83 percent of the total population.
10. With over 8.4 million people, New York City is the most populous city in the United States. The second most populous city is Los Angeles.